Our work is made possible by a variety of community partners and organizations. We greatly appreciate the community support we receive – we couldn’t do it without you!
Most of our annual operating income comes from the generosity of individuals, community groups, and corporate and foundation donors. We also have a very active volunteer program, and excellent participation from community groups.
By working together, each year we impact many lives:
- 1,200 families reside with us during their child’s hospitalization
- 12,000 additional people use our Family Care Center, coming for meals, computer access, and other essential resources
- 125,000 meals are served free of charge to family members with hospital identification
- 100 siblings of hospitalized children take part in education and enrichment programs, including the onsite School Away from School.
Partnership with McDonald’s
McDonald’s is the founding mission partner of RMHC. McDonald’s founder Ray Kroc helped establish the first house, which opened in 1974 in Philadelphia. McDonald’s restaurants continue to be our largest corporate donor. McDonald’s involvement extends beyond monetary support:
- Franchises partner with us for promotional and fundraising events
- McDonald’s employees volunteer with us
- McDonald’s owners and operators serve on our Board
Ronald McDonald House Charities “Global”
Ronald McDonald House Charities global headquarters is based in Oak Brook, Illinois. Their mission is to create, find and support programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children. They share best practices with Ronald McDonald House Charities across the country, and work with national retailers to facilitate donations. Some national partners include Coca-Cola, Tempur-Pedic, and La-Z-Boy.
San Diego Hospital Partners
As hospitals expand and offer new pediatric treatments, such as proton beam therapy or heart transplants, the needs of patient families also evolve.
The majority of the families we serve have children at Rady Children’s Hospital. We also partner with Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, UCSD Medical Center, Balboa Naval Hospital, Scripps Memorial Hospital, Mercy Hospital, and Kaiser Permanente.
We host meetings of the Family Resource Collaborative and Health Action Resource Team, which are made up of agencies and nonprofit groups that aid families in medical crisis. Partners include:
- American Cancer Society
- County of San Diego
- Conner’s Cause
- Make A Wish
- Miracle Babies
- Rest Haven Children’s Health Fund
- Rock Cancer Care
- San Diego County Office of Education
- Together We Grow
Imperial Valley Partners
Imperial Valley holds a special place in the hearts of many of us at San Diego’s Ronald McDonald House. Around a fifth of our resident families come from this region, which is more than two hours away from San Diego. Commuting this distance is simply not an option for families who must spend weeks or even months attending to a hospitalized child.
Many former guests have become advocates and volunteers for the Ronald McDonald House in Imperial Valley, especially through Red Shoe Day Imperial Valley. In addition, Ronald McDonald House families in the Imperial Valley gather for an annual picnic to connect with others who have faced serious health challenges with their children. Our partners and supporters in Imperial Valley include:
- American Cancer Society
- Amigos de Alejandro
- CASA of Imperial County
- Campesinos Unidos
- Cancer Resource Center of the Desert
- Clinicas de Salud del Pueblo (WIC)
- Imperial County Children & Families First Commission
- Imperial Valley Food Bank
- Imperial Valley Regional Occupational Program
- New Creations