Any family with a child hospitalized in a local medical facility is eligible to stay at the Ronald McDonald House. Priority is assessed by the social and medical needs of the family, occupancy levels of the House, and distance traveled to obtain treatment.
Additional Eligibility Factors
- Age of Patient: The patient receiving treatment must be 18 years of age or younger. Persons over 18 who are being treated or receiving care at a children’s hospital may also be eligible.
- Permanent Residence: RMH is a temporary “home away from home.” Families who stay at the House must maintain an active permanent physical address.
- Length of Stay: The length of stay at the House is not solely determined by the length of hospitalization, and there is no guarantee as to length of stay. Consideration will be given to families from out of state and those receiving end of life care. A family’s need for lodging is evaluated regularly by guest services staff. If a room is unoccupied for more than 48 hours, a guest will be asked to check out. House staff must be notified if the assigned family will be leaving for more than 24 hours. Guest services staff will communicate with a patient’s social worker before a family is asked to check out.
- Lodging Minors: A minor is anyone who is under age 18. Prospective guests under age 18 must be registered by a parent or legal guardian. Unaccompanied minor parents of a hospitalized child must also be registered by their legal parent or guardian.
- Conduct: All guests are expected to empathize, understand, and be tolerant of other people’s beliefs, backgrounds, and cultures. Only those families who have the ability to function in a communal environment may stay at the House.
- Non-Eligibility: Non-eligible families will be asked to leave the House within 24 to 72 hours at the discretion of guest services staff or Director of Operations.
We Do Not Discriminate
The Ronald McDonald House® of San Diego, which is operated by Ronald McDonald House Charities® of San Diego, does not discriminate against any person or family based upon race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identification, pregnancy, military status, or ability to pay.