Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Department: Finance & Administration
Reports to: President & CEO
Supervises: Accounting and Human Resources
FLSA Status: Exempt
As a key member of the executive leadership team, the CFO assumes a strategic role in the overall management of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego, Inc. (RMHCSD). The position is responsible for all financial, risk management and human resources operations of the organization. This is a hands-on position requiring excellent financial management skills, business discernment and a collaborative spirit. The CFO supervises the accounting and human resources staff and works collectively to continually improve efficiency and the effectiveness of the organization’s processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Please note that none of the processes described below are intended to be all-inclusive, and may require other duties, steps, or standards not presented here.
Financial Management, Reporting and Communications
- Coordinate and direct the preparation and review of the operating budget and monitor operating results as compared to budget; review, monitor and update the capital budget with the COO.
- Manage all daily accounting functions and manage the monthly reporting process, preparing report package for the Finance Committee and full Board.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing in review of raffle procedures, budget and reporting.
- Present the budget, operating results, forecasts and related analysis to the Board and Committees; effectively communicate timely information and recommendations for the continued success of the organization.
- Oversee the annual audit and reports to the Audit Committee.
- Assure that the IRS Form 990, all tax payments and reports are timely and accurate.
- Responsible for cash management and work closely with investment managers.
- Recommend and/or direct policies and guidelines on banking; assure compliance with bank loan covenants; maintain excellent relationships with banking partners.
- Supervise and review payroll.
- Proactively identify and assess business opportunities and risks and offer recommendations to improve efficiency and profitability; review vendor contracts and all legal agreements on behalf of the organization; consult outside counsel as needed.
- Review and obtain commercial insurance policies, including general liability, property and workers comp with broker.
- Oversee compliance matters relating to federal, state and local laws and national best practice standards, including requirements applying to Section 501(c)(3) nonprofits.
- Supervise the HR function assuring compliance and best practices, fostering an inclusive and collaborative work environment.
- Maintain overall responsibility for recruiting, hiring and terminations.
- Direct employee performance reviews; research, monitor and provide recommendations for employee compensation.
- Oversee all employee health benefits, negotiating annual insurance renewals, and assuring effective communication to employees.
- Administer the 403(b) retirement savings plan in accordance with applicable regulations. Directs the preparation and delivery of all reporting required, including, but not limited to, the annual Form 5500. Work with financial advisor and custodian to assure proper recordkeeping, reporting and communications to participants.
- Attend major events hosted by and for RMHCSD.
- Conduct tours of our facility and speak to our mission and our services.
- Work with the CEO and Philanthropy Department to support development initiatives that secure sustainable funding and other resources to provide for optimum facility operations and programs.
Contribute to a positive work environment by acting and communicating in a manner so that they get along with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
In addition, the education, experience, and other skills listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or other relevant field. Certified Public Accountant, Certified Management Accountant or MBA preferred.
Minimum of ten (10) years progressive experience in financial/accounting management roles. Prior experience in a Chief Financial Officer, Controller or Director Position is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands/conditions described below are representative of those that must be met/tolerated by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Sitting at a desk for sometimes long and continuous periods of time.
- Using a keyboard to perform research, and to communicate through written means for sometimes long and continuous periods of time.
- Looking at a computer monitor for sometimes long and continuous periods of time.
- Intermittently answering or making calls on the telephone, standing, walking, reaching, and stooping.
- Exposure to low to moderate noise level.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.